Sunday, April 26, 2009

My Word!

Shockjock spews venom,
Norm knew he had a mission
-took gun to clinic.

Standing in doorway,
Boss said I want a word, please!
-holding the pink slips.

On hospital ward,
Old woman saw her daughter
-Said, I forgive you!

Four years of struggle,
She received her diploma,
-Congratulations!
The principal smiled at her,
she did not have the words, though.

After twenty years,
Al met his son at the gate,
-welcome home father.

Staring at the page,
Waiting for the words to come
-page simply stares back.

Copyright 2009

One Single Impression: Word

8 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

The power of a single word. I like the way your poems suggest a desire to connect with a single word. I wonder if the hearers accepted the invitation in silence or not.

Jacqueline Dove said...

I enjoyed the eclectic variety here.

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your offerings, Edward. I especially like the tanka, as I have a niece in her second year of college, struggling to keep her A's, and struggling harder still to secure her student loans.

qualcosa di bello said...

words, bitter & sweet, concisely said! love the last...hope it doesn't happen anytime soon!

anthonynorth said...

A great selection - although to me, the last one would be a real nightmare :-)

Tumblewords: said...

Love this collection of word-driven short pieces. Valid and valuable.

spacedlaw said...

That last one feels familiar...

Jim said...

Hi Edward, I like them all. I identify with some and feel for the others. Blank pages are meant to be filled.
I'm writing from Honfleur, France, tonight. Tomorrow will be Burges, Belgium. Should be home for OSI reading next week.
..